Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Heavenly Treasures

My thoughts this week as I have read from The Book of Mormon have been centered on a verse I read in 3 Nephi 24, while Christ is visiting the Nephites. Part of the verse reads, "...It is vain to serve God, and what doth it profit that we have kept his ordinances..." I believe that this passage struck me so forcefully because I can see evidence of this viewpoint today. The thought of ordinances, covenants, and faith in God have become seen by the world as "the effect of a frenzied mind" (Alma 30:16).

During His visit to the Americas, Christ talked about worldly treasures vs. heavenly treasures. Although I have read this passage many times, I believe that I am just now beginning to understand the application to my life. Worldly treasures are temporary; they are perishable, can be stolen, and the value will ultimately end at death. Heavenly treasures are eternal; they are accessible even after this life, provide lasting benefit, and continue to be in force after death. Comparing these two types of treasures makes it very obvious the importance of one and the uselessness of the other.

I am in a point of decision-making right now, trying to figure out what the future will hold for me as far as college, a career, and so forth. As I was caught up in these "important" decisions, I took the opportunity to go to the temple. While there, I allowed my mind to relax and to just focus on the work at hand. At the end of my time there, I felt a very clear impression with an answer to all of my current decisions: "Cling to your covenants." Just four words, a very simple phrase, but what an answer it was for me!

I hope that I can always focus on what is most important---my heavenly treasures---the covenants and promises that have lasting value. I know that the restoration of the Gospel brought about the opportunity for each of us to find eternal treasures as we enter covenants with our Heavenly Father through ordinances.

No comments:

Post a Comment