Monday, May 24, 2010

Egypt: There and Back Again


The day before we headed to Egypt, one of our professors presented a short, four-slide powerpoint to help us to prepare for (and survive) the adventure. I'll share the highlights with you.

1. Don't drink the water.
2. Don't eat the food.
3. Don't breathe the air.
4. Don't touch anything.

His powerpoint may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but it proves the point. Egypt is a third-world developing country. Much of what I saw there just made me feel....sad. Lots of ghetto and lots of poverty. However, the sites were amazing, so I will focus on that happy note via way too many pictures.


This is five-year old Will and I in our "Batman" poses. He is one of my professor's children. We are on the road.

One of the stops along the way took us to the ancient city of Jerico. The picture shows a monastery above my head that we hiked to on the Mount of Temptations (supposedly). I touched the very rock with which Satan tempted Christ, which they keep in the monastery, if you can imagine that.

We went to the city of Adna, essentially the stomping ground of the first three patriarchs. The city had a gigantic cistern beneath it that we went in.

My first view of the pyramids. They are incredible! I can understand now why people believe that aliens created them, because they are truly indescribable. You just have to see them for yourself. This was taken in Cairo looking into Giza.



Some of these blocks weigh 15 tons.



This is the temple of Queen Hat-Shep-Sut (pronounced "hot-cheap-suit") and is over the mountains from the Valley of the Kings. They wouldn't allow us to take pictures in the Valley, but it was spectacular. Sixty-seven tombs have been found in the valley, some of which are massive. We were able to go into King Tut's tomb as well, which was very small comparatively.

This is looking into essentially what is the Holy of Holies for the Temple of Queen Hat-Shep-Sut.


Pit 33 has the tripod in front of it. This is where scholars believe the papyrus scrolls of Abraham were found with the mummies that Joseph Smith purchased. The Bedouins wouldn't allow us to go near it, but it was still neat to see.

Ok so after a few days in Cairo, we flew south to Luxor (Thebes). The temperature there got up to 50 degrees centigrade one day (like 122 Fahrenheit)! My farmer's tan has reached perfection. Anyways, not trusting the local ice-cream, we ended up at McDonald's. Sad, I know...

My favorite site of the Egypt trip was the Temple of Karnak in Luxor. The temple spans across 32 acres! I found the obelisks amazing----the engineering behind the placement of these 135-ton solid rocks is just mind blowing.


Scenes like these are depicted all throughout the temples. Egyptians believed in eternal life brought about through rituals (ordinances) and correct living, which would lead to deification. I am excited to share more about this.

This is Ramses II and I with his favorite wife, Nefartari, just above my head.

During our time in Egypt, we made use of various means of travel, including plane, train, horse-drawn carriage, taxi, camel, motor boat, and sailboat. This is the horse-drawn carriage.

Overlooking the Nile. Several became pretty sick while on the trip. I did for a bit, but I survived (Gary, tienes churro?). ;-)

This is one of the bazars---truly an experience in itself. But those stories will have to wait for another time.

Muhammad Ali Mosque, the largest in Cairo.

This is the quibla of the mosque, which points to Mecca.

My camel ride, but the girl forgot to get my camel in the picture. I almost got bucked off, but it was fun.

We hiked up Mount Sinai early in the am in order to be there for the sunrise. The hike was no Timpanogos, but the view was just as beautiful.

These last two are from the Sea of Galilee. After returning from Egypt, a member of the district presidency asked me to travel with him to Galilee on the Sabbath to translate the meetings into Spanish. I was especially excited to go because I had just finished reading about all the miracles Christ performed in this area in Jesus the Christ. Surprisingly, several members from both Argentina and Uruguay live there. This top pic is the view from outside the church. The sea is larger than I had expected and a very pretty area. It was a fun experience to translate and went well. Latinos, wherever they are, are funny people. This bottom pic is of Carmen and I, a funny woman from Argentina. I guess you could say we hit it off pretty well. She wanted to take a picture of us with her camera, so I thought I would take one as well. We had a linger longer after the meetings, which was neat. The branch has four postings on the wall for the Hymns: one for English, one for Spanish, one for Hebrew, and one for Russian.


I will finally wrap up this photo gallery with a story. The branch president asked if I would translate an interview between he and a sister. This sister and her family were having severe family problems. The interview was anything but peaceful---it was actually downright contentious (I admit that I did not translate everything quite as bluntly as it was said).

Right after the interview, I walked outside and looked out over the Sea of Galilee and began to think of the many miracles performed there by Christ. It was interesting for me to think of this family, in an area where Christ had healed so many, lacking the faith necessary for Christ to heal them. The atmosphere there was such a contrast for me compared to the one I had just left. It was a peaceful moment.

After all is said and done, aren't we all in need of a good healing in our lives?

Have a great one and God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Scott for all the details and pictures! Wow! I kept looking at those pics of the pyramids thinking they can't be real. So incredible! How cool that you were asked to translate for that branch (how awkward to have to be the one to tell break the bad news to that woman). You're having so many great experiences...so happy for you. And congrats on getting into the accounting program! Great news!
    take care!
    p.s. Kenna saw me looking at these pictures and said you look funny with those sunglasses. I'll try to catch her up on the latest trends in eye-wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SCott,
    Hope you are enjoying Middle East! I saw that you are there with one of my BEST friends Jessie. She is AWESOME! Looks like you are having a blast! Take care!

    ReplyDelete